I wanted the HEMNES dresser to have some fun texture and give off a retro glam feel in my Retro Palm Beach style guest room makeover. I painted it the same color as the wall to give the illusion of more space in a small bedroom.
Now, it looks like a high end dresser.
It was easy to do, and did not involve using a power saw!
I made a video tutorial of the process:
HEMNES 8-drawer dresser | IKEA.com
- IKEA HEMNES dresser
- Bin Primer
- Wall Paint (Clare Paint Wing It)
- 24″ Half Round Craft Foam Dowels from Michael’s craft store
- Hot glue gun
- Removable wallpaper for drawer liners
- Craft knife or steak knife
- Power drill
HEMNES dresser hack instructions
1. Assemble, prime, and paint dresser frame and drawer fronts.
2. Paint approximately 53 of the 24” half round foam dowels from Michaels.
3. Cut the foam dowels to the height of each drawer front with your craft knife, and line them up across your drawer fronts to make sure you have enough cut.
4. Apply your removable wallpaper in the print of your choice to the bottom panel of each drawer before assembling. Trim off excess with your craft knife.
5. Hot glue your foam pieces across your drawer fronts.
6. Assemble your drawers.
7. Use a drill bit to drill through original holes for the dresser hardware and drill through the foam.
8. Use a longer screw to attach the knobs which you may wish to paint before installing.
9. Touch up any of the foam or dresser with paint as needed!
How long and how much did it cost?
It only took us two days to complete and most of that was spent letting paint dry. All in, you can complete this hack for less than $150 if you have the dresser already.
What was the hardest part about this hack?
Honestly, just painting all the dowels was a bit tedious, but no part of this project was hard!
What to pay special attention to?
Make sure you’re gluing the foam dowels on straight vertically, so they don’t look crooked or line up weird.
Looking back, would you have done it differently?
Wouldn’t change a thing — it was very easy to do for such a big impact!
See the complete tutorial of my HEMNES dresser hack on my blog.
~ by Erika of @peonyandhoney