A streamlined and sleek modern card catalog cabinet
I’ve always wanted a huge library card file/ apothecary cabinet but they are so expensive!
Just so happened, I had a couple KALLAX shelving units and four drawer inserts when I came up with the idea.
I love the size of it and how easy it is to move things around because you just have to swap the drawers.
IKEA items used:
- 2 units of KALLAX Shelving Unit in Black Brown (2×4 cubbies)
- KALLAX Insert With Two Drawers in Black Brown
Other materials and tools:
DIY IKEA card catalog cabinet:
1. Put together the KALLAX shelves and drawers, minus the knobs on the drawers.
2. Attach casters to the bottom of one of the KALLAX shelves. I used five casters total, one on each corner and one in the middle.
3. Flip the cabinet over and stack the other KALLAX shelf on top.
4. Install the drawer inserts. Follow IKEA’s directions and secure them into place.
5. Install the label pulls over the existing hole on the drawer fronts.
6. Insert the drawers, label them, and fill em up!
1 hour & approx. $550. Most was spent on the drawer inserts, coming in at $352
What was the hardest part about the hack?
Deciding if spending $350 on drawers was worth it. haha!
Anything to pay special attention to?
Make sure all the label file pulls are level and make sure the casters will support the total weight of the unit, plus everything in it.
Is there anything you would do differently?
Different types of label pulls….maybe? There are so many cool options out there. I just picked something simple and inexpensive.
See the full tutorial on my blog.
~ by Terra, The Savvy Heart
You may also like these apothecary cabinet hacks
- RAST faux apothecary cabinet hack
- Turn the EXPEDIT into a library card cabinet lookalike
- MOPPE card catalog jewelry box