I made a set of floor speaker stands from IKEA chopping boards.
The speakers are not going to move. These things weight about 30lbs. Much better than cheap floor speaker stands.
IKEA items used:
- Small FASCINERA x2
- Silver ADILS x2
- 8×8 concrete blocks x4
- Concrete mix
- Walnut 12×12 wood pieces x2
- Misc nuts and bolts
- Laminate board large enough to mount both concrete blocks
- Paint (look for misfit/mistake at hardware store… you might score like I did $2.50)
- Masking tape
Instructions for floor speaker stands
1. Drilled 2 holes in laminate board. This is to hold the ADILS legs in place.
2. Unscrew the leveling screw on the ADILS. Thread screw through holes on laminate board. Place board on spare blocks (don’t worry blocks are $1-$1.75 each). MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS LEVEL.
3. Caulk the bottom of concrete blocks – to create seal of concrete mix.
4. Place ADILS in middle of concrete blocks
5. Let dry as per caulking instructions
6. Mask legs
7. Mix concrete as per concrete mix instructions
8. Pour concrete
9. Let dry as per concrete mix instructions
10. To hide the seams, I caulk the concrete blocks and new concrete
11. Painted blocks
12. Mounted the FASCINERA cutting boards using the hardware that comes with the ADILS
13. Unscrew level screws and pry off concrete blocks. Should be easy off the laminate board.
- Less than $50
ADILS x 2 @ $4
FASCINERA x 2 @ 7.99
Concrete Mix @ $3
Concrete blocks x 4 @ $1.18
Misc about $10
Remember instruction #2? Well I didn’t have one of legs leveled. This can be fixed with speaker spikes. But budget minded like me might want to try this:
1. 12 x 12 wood (I went with walnut).
2. Drill holes on each corner and center.
3. Use nuts and bolts for leveling.
4. Place speaker on platform.
~ by Michael Singleton