I made a moon lamp from the IKEA FADO, which sells for $24.99.
IKEA items used:
Other materials and tools:
- Dark grey acrylic paint
- Paper Kitchen Towels
- Philips Hue bulb
Moon lamp hack instructions:
1. Clean the inside of the FADO lamp shade.
2. Put a small amount of grey acrylic paint onto a folded up paper towel.
3. Apply the paint very thinly to the inside of the lamp shade by dabbing and rubbing to create some darker spots and some lighter spots until you have peppered the entire internal surface with some degree of paint.
4. Allow to dry for 5-10 minutes.
5. Re-insert the bulb and observe the results.
If you use a Philips Hue or other colour changing bulb, try different shades of yellow, red and blue to create the full realistic effect.
~ by Leon Maughan
Other FADO lamp hacks you may like
#1 A FADO Kitty lamp that doesn’t say hello
Make this cute kitty lamp out of polymer clay, a black pen and a steady hand. See more.
#2 A Miffy lamp