As hacks go, this is an inexpensive solution to a common problem. Billy bookcase shelves have a reputation for sagging. It’s easy to strengthen the shelves with this hack. How much more weight can the shelves bear? I don’t know, but mine were holding full and even double-shelved text books with no problems.
- Hacksaw or metal cutting blade of some sort
- File to smooth the cut ends
- Aluminium “U-channel” strips from the local home improvement store (One 8-foot strip can stiffen three 30-inch shelves.)
- Billy bookcase or other shelves you want to reinforce.
- Take a shelf with you and buy a channel that snugly slips over the shelf edge.
- My Billy shelves used 3/4 inch channel, but test before you buy.
- Cut the channel into pieces about 6 inches shorter than your shelf.
- Use the file to smooth the rough edges on the cut ends.
- Slide the channel over the back edge of the shelf, center it, and place the shelf on the pegs.
~ Tsu Dho Nimh