After the move we have to find an idea for the old Expedit.
We wanted something colorful and with Chinese style, so that became the idea: to transform the Expedit into a Chinese Cabinet!
Before: Black EXPEDIT (79 x 149 cm) used to store glasses and mugs.
First I changed the proportions.
- Add 4 wooden legs (10 cm high x 6 cm large)
- To add stability, the legs are glued to a base which is 6x79x1cm, with glue (2 bases, with 2 legs each)
- Then the bases are fixed to another base which is the same size of the EXPEDIT bottom (39 x 79 x 1 cm).
- Legs bases are glued and fixed with 2 screws for each leg (4 cm screw at least), and two screws for the centre. (1,5 cm)
- The entire base is then screwed to the EXPEDIT which is now higher by 12 cm.
Now I needed to fix the door frame.
- 2 wooden strips nailed for the side (3 x 145 x 0.5 cm)
- 2 for top and bottom (3 x 79 x 0,5 cm)
- 2 for bottom side I added 2 strips (3 x 40 x 0,5 cm).
Now I have to paint
- First the base coat (2 coats), then
- A bright turquoise (2 coats for the inside, 3 for the outside!)
I painted the bottom and the doors, which are in wood, so it’s painted without base (this will change the appearance and give a more vintage look).
- Doors (36 x 144,5 x 0,8 cm) 3 coats.
- Bottom (79 x 160 x 0,4 cm) 2 coats.
Between each coat (base and colour), to smooth the surface I used sand paper.
To fix the doors, I chose brass hinges and a real Chinese cabinet door latch (found on Etsy for 10£).
This is the final result!
Hope you like it
Note: The measurements are for the EXPEDIT, if you use a KALLAX you need to change it a little.