I wanted to have a nice big corner desk, but unfortunately IKEA GALANT have been discontinued. I looked and looked on Craigslist and after a while gave up. IKEA LINNMON corner desks didn’t cut it either, as they were not deep enough.
So decided to build one.
My requirements were:
- Glossy white surface
- No leg at the corner where I sit
- Somewhere around ~200$
Originally I wanted to build the whole desk frame from 2x4s but after browsing IKEA as-is I found 7x ADILS legs for $1 each so that made the decision for me.
Here are the components and materials that I purchased:
- 3x LINNMON table tops (150x75cm) @ $29.99
- 7x ADILS legs from as is @ 1$ each.
- Corner brace – 4″ Corner brace zinc 2 pack [email protected]$2.87
- Fasteners – $7.98 10X2″ Spax Multimaterial
- 5/4x6x12 Select pine board [email protected]$23.14
- 5/4×6-8ft. Select pine board [email protected]%15.87
- 3/8″ Fluted dowel pins
- 3/8″ dowel kit
This is my first time making something like this.
I used Sketchup to model the whole thing first, to know how much materials to buy and to see if this desk would fit into the room. After some research on joints I figured that dowel reinforced butt joints would be the easiest thing to use.
2 dowels are used at each joint then, secured that with corner braces.
Need more? IKEA desk hack ideas just a click away.