I needed a very big space for a family of 7 gerbils that I rescued few days ago. So I bought an Ikea Kallax shelf and turned it into a large habitat.
– First we made the holes for ventilation.
– Then I added wire to cover the holes, made more holes to go from a stair to another and from the left to the right, I covered the boards with adhesive coating and assembled the shelf.
– I glued rails to maintain the glass plates
– I added the glass plates
– I laid the adhesive LED, fixed the windows (synthetic glass), and cover the communication holes with natural clay
Then we realized that a big open space on the first floor will be better to avoid partitioning which could generate conflicts between the gerbils (They are all males : the father, a son from a previous birth and 3 babies)
– I added the big door for the compartment assigned for bedding.
– We screwed a board at the back of the shelf
And here is my gerbilarium in use.
[media url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqIukHD7Tg” width=”550″ height=”413″]