After getting inspired by this hack that used a PAX door as a table, Mike makes his own computer desk with hutch from BESTÅ doors.
- 1 LINNMON tabletop
- 4 BESTÅ Tofta doors (Tofta doors are discontinued)
- 5 adjustable table legs
- 8 CAPITA 4″ legs
My IKEA Computer desk with monitor hutch
1. I started off by cutting the 3 of the 4 BESTÅ Tofta doors long ways down the middle using a circular saw with a melamine blade. This created 6 strips, each 10″ wide by 75.5″ long.
2. Then, took the 1 door I didn’t cut and fastened it to the LINNMON table top using PL and screws.
This created the desk’s work area.
I added 4 adjustable table legs also from IKEA to each corner. There was an issue with the desk bowing in the center after it was upright so I decided to add another leg in the center. I set it far enough to the back that it was not noticeable when you sat down.
3. I used one of the strips of from the doors I cut for the shelf where I would place my monitors. I used 8 CAPITA 4″ stainless steel legs to give me the desired height.
Then, I glued a strip of PVC molding I got from Home Depot to the front of the shelf so it better matched the desk portion. After that I added an LED light strip underneath. The LEDs were purchased from Amazon.
4. I then used the remaining strips of closet doors to build the hutch or monitor housing. It is completely separate from the desk. After it was built I fastened it to the desk with a few screws.
5. I then used a sheet of 1/8″ melamine coated fiberboard from Home Depot for the hutch’s back panel. Once it was tacked on the whole thing became rigid.
Watch a video tour of it.
Another video detailing the build of my computer desk with hutch.
That’s pretty much it. Thanks for watching.