Published on August 2nd, 2016 | by Contributor15
Mudroom Style and Organization using Pax Wardrobes
My mudroom was cramped, dark and messy.
I wanted a beautiful, custom mudroom but didn’t want to pay a custom price. I started looking at IKEA bookcases and wardrobes and realized that I could have the mudroom of my dreams by using Pax components. Now my mudroom is organized, bright and cheery.
IKEA products used:
- 1 Pax wardrobe 702.145.59 (19 5/8×22 7/8×93 1/8 “)
- 2 Pax wardrobe 002.145.72 (39 1/4×13 3/4×93 1/8 “)
- 1 Bersbo door 899.041.80 (19 5/8 x 90 1/8)
- 4 Bergsbo doors 098.959.81 (19 5/8 x 76 3/4)
- 2 Komplement drawers 702.467.58 (39 3/8″ x 13 3/4)
- 2 Komplement wire baskets 790.109.54
- 4 Komplement shelves 002.779.89
- 2 Komplement shelves 302.779.59
- 4 sets of skubb boxes, 3 per set
1) Assemble Pax wardrobe 702.145.59 according to IKEA instructions.
2) Assemble Pax wardrobes 002.145.72 according to IKEA instructions but install the bottom of the wardrobe 17 inches up from the bottom. Leave the leveling feet off and also leave the front toekick board off.
3) Install the wardrobes by anchoring them to the wall as per the IKEA instructions and attached the wardrobes to each other with the included hardware.
4) Attached the 90 1/8 tall door to the 22 7/8″ x 93 1/8″ cabinet.
5) Attached the 76 3/4 doors to the other wardrobes, starting at the top. leave the bottom 17 inches of the cabinet open.
6) Install a Komplement drawer directly below the doors in the open space on each wardrobe. (I swapped out the included rails, for full extension slides for better accessibility to the contents.)
The inside of the wardrobes were fitted with coat hook rails, skubb boxes, shelves and wire baskets for organizing all our things.
Crown moulding and base moulding were added for a built in look. Although the photos don’t show this well, we gained a foot in width in this hall space. Our previous closet and coat hook area was 27 inches deep but the IKEA Pax wardrobes we used, for the majority of the space, were only 15 inches deep including the doors. However, we actually gained additional storage since the Pax wardrobes have usable storage all the way to the ceiling.
~ by Deborah Anderson