Published on January 22nd, 2016 | by IH guest1
STAVE Mirror Turned Art
I recently did an IKEA hack on the stave mirror I thought you might enjoy!
I had a hard time finding a piece of art that I liked for the living room. I tried using our existing art and nothing looked right. I tried purchasing new art but still, no luck. So after weeks of searching I gave up and decided to do it myself. We had an IKEA mirror laying around, collecting dust so I decided to paint it. It was a bit of challenge, but so worth it!
Here’s how I did it:
1. Remove the mirror from the frame. This a bit tricky and the most time consuming part.
You’ll need a box knife for this step. Flip the mirror over, and use that handing knife to remove the seal around the edges. Once that’s done, you should be able to gently push the mirror up and slide it out of the frame.
2. Sand that glass down. Don’t go crazy, you just want to rough it up enough for the paint to stick.
3. Prime it! We did two coats of white primer to ensure the paint would stick.
4. Paint it! For the base coat of white, we used a “Gloss White”, latex enamel paint.
Once that dried, we used a “Gloss Black” and “Flat Black.” We splattered the paint with a brush and drizzled it with a spatula. You can’t mess it up, so get crazy!
5. Once the paint is dry, you can put the mirror back in the frame. Slide it in the same way you got it out. Easy peasy.
6. Caulk it! Now that your mirror is in place, you’ll want to caulk the back where the sealant originally was.
7, Hang it! You now have a one-of-a-kind piece of art!
I hope you enjoy my hack and I look forward to hearing from you!
~ Kari Hill