Published on March 18th, 2014 | by chuneke0
Turn KRUS Into a Fantastic Cigar Humidor
- KRUS Jar with Lid (Product link). Article Number : 901.125.26
- Humidor gel or some kind of humidifying element like a sponge with hydrating solution
- Hygrometer (Like this one)
- If you really want to mount the hygrometer in the front face of the plastic or in the lid you will need a drill and a large bit or cutting tool to fit the diameter of your hygrometer. Many are 1″ wide.
- Open the KRUS and carefully remove all of the stickers
- Clean all of the parts with soap, you don’t want anything making your smokes smell like plastic or getting dusty
- Insert the included dividers to help stack your stogies. You may want to experiment with adding one or both dividers. My pictures below are with both dividers inserted.
- Stack your cigars inside the KRUS, being careful to leave room for your humidifying element.
- Insert your humidifying element and hygrometer into the jar
- Seal the top with the clasps
- Remember that this is not a wooden humidor, so you will have to open it from time to time to let some air circulate through it.
- Optional step is to add a thin layer of caulk or something to the lid to improve the seal, but I have not found this necessary.
This image shows a full KRUS with about 45 cigars and a small jar of gel solution.
This image shows KRUS filled with about 22 cigars and I left the middle section open for a standard sponge filled with solution suspended in Tupperware. This maintained 72% relative humidity.
All in all, this is am amazing humidor solution for about €6. They also sell smaller versions that you can use to travel or keep in your golf locker, work cabinet, etc.