Published on March 28th, 2014 | by Lauren @ The Thinking Closet0
Reaching New Heights with Hacked Hol Side Tables
Backstory: Our master bedroom was in dire need of a makeover. My husband Mark and I were still sleeping on the box spring and mattress without a bed-frame four years after we had gotten married and our decor was both minimal and aimless. Honestly, the whole space had just been an after-thought.
Finally, this past fall, we decided to tackle it head on, and through the process, we also discovered our shared style: Rustic Nautical!
In addition, not one, but two different IKEA hacks were involved in our bedroom makeover! One of them has already been featured here at IKEA Hackers, our Whitewashed Wardrobe with Pallet Shelves. The second one is what I’d like to introduce you to today: our Hol Side Tables, which we gave a facelift with some gray wash and white dry-brushing, as well as a literal lift by adding table legs. Now our side tables match the height of our new bed as well as the coastal vibe of our decor. IKEA hack for the win!
Here’s the quick run-down of how we transformed our side tables:
Materials: HOL side tables, gray wash, white paint, 1″ x 2″ pine boards, drywall screws, drill, saw.
Step by Step:
- Cut 4 pieces of pine that are 9″ and 4 pieces that are roughly 18″ inches.
- Install the longer pieces first, fastening them to the inside of the table structure (you’ll have to remove the top and one of the four sides of the cube to make this possible).
- Cut rectangular notches into the bottom panel where the 18″ legs will pass through.
- Take the 9″ pieces and join them to the 18″ pieces in a “T” pattern.
- Sand everything.
- Apply a gray wash to the tables.
- Apply a white dry brush technique against the grain to give them a weathered, rustic appearance.
Well, we hope you enjoyed this glimpse into our latest and biggest D.I.Y. to date. Feel free to drop by The Thinking Closet for a slew of photos and details on each phase of the process of our Rustic Nautical Master Bedroom Makeover, and in particular, our Hol Side Table Hack! We think you’ll especially want to see what they look like at night with lights inside…. Link here.
~ Lauren Lanker, Florida