Published on December 20th, 2013 | by mantiss4
Borgsjö dual cat litter box
I had meant literally for the last 6 months to get rid of the eyesore that are the cat litter boxes. I tried to find some old/reused furniture but nothing seemed to be either pleasant to the eye or able to fit the requirements.
Enter Ikea’s Borgsjö, this is a simple multimedia center that comes with 2 shelves, one on each side. What I did was reuse the shelves to become doors, and cut out two cat d00rs, one on the side of the cabinet, and one in the middle section (since I have two litter boxes, I wanted the cats to be able to go through both with only one external door)
The side door is 15cm wide by 18cm high (about 6 inches by 7 inches). I used a jigsaw to cut away the section, and used some fake wood iron-on vinyl covering to protect the bare wood.
Same idea for the inner passage between the two sections. Make sure you make it high enough for your cats to easily step from one cat box to the other. Also, this panel is twice as thick as the side panels and it is very well glued and pressed together, patience and a good blade on your jigsaw will do wonders. Drill holes to each corner of your door hole to guide you.
I used simple hinges to fix the doors. The door side needed a 35mm wide x 11.4mm deep hole to get the latch fixed, standard euro latch you can find at most hardware store for next to nothing and is versatile when it comes to adjusting height, etc. As you see I used a vinyl liner under the litter boxes (and it’s not yet unfurled )
I used stick-on plastic pads for the door stoppers, don’t be tempted to just stick them on, they won’t hold, I just drove a wood screw through them to hold the stoppers securely in place.
I added two inexpensive Ikea Gottlösa door knobs to each panel, and voila, an easy access to the litter boxes, an elegant little cabinet and a nice control of odor as well as litter particles. If you only have one litter box, you could easily use the other section to store up your litter, bags, scoop etc.
I hope you enjoyed this hack, all in all it took about 4 hours to assemble fix and tweak.