Sliding Galant Desk on a big Expedit Composition
The aim of this project is to have a big shelf with a sliding desk for having more space in the room when kids don’t study.
2 Expedit shelving unit 2×2 boxes (801.352.98)
1 Expedit shelving unit 5×5 boxes (002.086.46)
many Expedit drawers (for example 902.049.36) and doors (for example 001.982.04)
1 Besta rail for sliding doors 180cm (901.058.37)
1 Galant desk with T legs (chose the model you like… in my pictures a 120x80cm)
4 wheels (with brake) at a DIY store
A drill, a hummer and a saw.
1. Assemble the 2 Expedit 2×2 units without their top panel
2. Fix with a pencil (or a pin) the holes of the 2 little 2×2 Expedit top panels on the 5×5 top panel
3. Drill the 5×5 top panel and assemble it on the 2 little 2×2 Expedit shelves (without their original top panel)
4. Cut 1-2 cm of the Besta rail with a saw and fix it on the top 5×5 panel with its screws
5. Disassemble the 5×5 top panel from the 2 little 2×2 shelves and mount the 5×5 Expedit shelf
(I like to change some modules to make a little different shelf and to personalize it)
6. Assemble the 5×5 shelf on the 2 little 2×2 shelves after drilling the side panels and putting wood screws between the 2×2 shelves and the 5×5 shelf
7. Replace the original Galant desk feet with 4 wheels
8. Drill 2 or 3 holes on the depth of the Galant desk to screw 2 or 3 little wheels (boxed with Besta rail)
9. Find the exact height of the T-legs of Galant desk to put the little wheels inside the Besta rail
10. complete the shelves as you like with Expedit drawers and doors
Gerardo P. -Foggia, Italy-
We will be moving. Don’t miss any hacks.
Be the first to know
IKEAhackers will be moving. Be the first to know of the new domain when it is ready. Enter your details and sign up now.