Published on August 7th, 2013 | by Jules IKEAHacker0
Shoe Bench from Entertainment Center
Materials: Ikea TV stand, circular saw, safety glasses, 21×47” OSB, foam mattress pad, 1.5 yards of fabric, staples and stapler, carpet grip pad
Description: 1. Gather materials.
Foam – most foam works – I bought a full size 1” foam mattress pad off amazon for ~$20.
TV Stand – search Craigslist for “IKEA TV stand” or “IKEA entertainment center” – Solid wood units will provide the best strength.
OSB – any board (MDF, OSB, plywood) 1/2” or thicker that matches the dimensions of the TV stand top should be sufficient.
1.5 yards of fabric runs ~$10 (use a coupon!)
1. Cut foam and support board to TV stand top dimension, with scissors and circular saw respectively. Using a straight edge to mark lines with a sharpie help. Check for squareness.
2. Place fabric, foam, and board upside down on top of TV stand. Pull fabric around and cut off any excess fabric that wraps past the edge of the board by 3-4 inches.
3. Add a heavy weight (150lb helper in my case) on top of the board to compress the foam. This will assist in creating a tight/nice looking fabric surface.
4. Staple the fabric every 2-3 inches. Try a few different techniques for folding the corners (think wrapping paper and go from there).
5. Add carpet grip between TV stand and board. Enjoy.
Estimated completion time with right materials/tools: 30-60 minutes
~ Travis Church, United States