Published on March 11th, 2011 | by Jules Yap


Electrified rat

Materials: Ikea GOSIG RÅTTA

It’s a small Ikea hack – an electric extension cord hidden into an Ikea rat.

See more of the Ikea rat extension cord.

~ Luc


More hacks on IKEAHackers.net

Mismatched kitchen doors
Lillangen bathroom remodel

The Author

Jules Yap

"I am Jules, the engine behind IKEAHackers and the one who keeps this site up and running. My mission is to capture all the wonderful, inspiring, clever hacks and ideas for our much loved IKEA items".

19 Responses to Electrified rat

  1. Luc Pionchon says:


    just a head up to say that my rat is doing good since 2010.
    No overheating, no melting, no fires.
    And more importantly, no cat injured!

    Thank you for all the nice comments!

  2. Anonymous says:

    In Sweden I’ve never heard about extension cords melting down. just felt on mine and my computer is on 24/7 and hooked up to that cord and it’s not hot.

    Of course there is a risk but I don’t think that people are that stupid so that they don’t understand the risk.
    So just check it every day and unplug it before leaving home and before you go to sleep. then you can sleep well at nigth knowing that your house won’t burn down.

  3. Anonymous says:

    I absolutely love this hack!!! :-) The way the rat ticks out from under the couch is hilarious!

  4. Herbert says:

    no cats here – so I will try this creative hack.

  5. woolywoman says:

    I am so making this. People need to lighten up.

  6. zosh says:

    Anonymous: You have the exact same rat? No way! I always thought those are individual pieces!

    Also, I don’t get your rationale when it comes to high voltage appliances. I’ve personally seen extension cords and cables melting down – without covers, and without overloading them. High voltage creates an surprising amount of heat in cables, people just don’t realize it because they usually don’t go around feeling their electrical cords. There is a very, very good reason why those are not sold wrapped in flammable stuff that keeps the heat inside.

    Also, in case something should happen, good luck trying to explain that charred rat cover around an high-voltage device to your insurance.

  7. Anonymous says:

    Simply fantastic in its simplicity… but.. the risk of fire is not just connected to sparkles or short circuits but also, as happened to me last week, due to an overload.. some cables for the extreme high current and for the Joule’s effect they become hot and melt down… while the plastic is, the mouse is fire proof?

  8. MarcoRiccio says:

    why do you* xD sorry

  9. MarcoRiccio says:

    why put a socket in a rag rat in the middle of the living room?

  10. Anonymous says:

    Also, not kid safe.

  11. Anonymous says:

    As already mentioned – you can get burned (down)…

  12. MacMama says:

    Not very safe: this is a real fire hazard!

  13. Anonymous says:

    This is unbelievably awesome and I ALREADY HAVE THIS RAT!

    As long as the cords are in good shape and there are no electrical shorts in the appliances the odds of fire are about the same as the odds of that sortera bin of dry cat food I keep in the closet spontaneously combusting. It’s not impossible. But it’s not anything to lose sleep over. My cats will look at it and understand that it’s not a real rat.

    Darwinism cuts both ways.

  14. Anonymous says:

    this is extremely awesome, but i’m worried about frying my cat!

  15. Anonymous says:

    I like this idea very much. Unfortunately the others might be right: seems dangerous! :/

  16. metai says:


  17. In addition to being a fire hazard, it’s also a really bad idea if you have cats.

  18. Anonymous says:

    danger!!!! are you nutts!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Back to Top ↑