Published on February 3rd, 2011 | by Jules Yap4
Mud Room Lockers from 2 Kilby’s
Materials: 2 Kilby book shelves, circular saw, drill
Description: The great thing about Kilby is that it is only 9.5 inches deep and fit into an opening that I had at the side door.
In order to do this hack you will need to put together all inside portions before you assemble the outside to the bookshelf.
1. Open Both boxes of the Kilby.
2. Bottom Vertical: We are going to be cutting up one long section of the Kilby from the extra box. Cut 9.5cm off the bottom of long board.
3. Bottom Vertical: Cut the same board 72cm from the bottom cut. This will be the verticle on the locker bottom.
4. Top Vertical: Use the big remainder piece from the Bottom Vertical. From the top (uncut end) of the remaining portion of the first board board, cut off 17mm.
5. Top Vertical: From the cut in step 4 (inside top), cut the piece to 108.9 cm from the top.
The new Vertical boards will likely be hollow except around the edges. We are going to dowel the Verticals to the top board, middle board and bottom board.
1. Find the drill bit that matches the doweling in the Kilby kit. Best to use a particle board bit but a wood bit will do if you can go fast accurately. Put tape on your drill bit so that you only drill to half of the length of the dowel. All holes will be the same depth.
2. On the Top vertical board (it is the longer of the two you cut). Drill two holes on the top unfinished edge 2cm from the front and the back.
3. On the Top vertical board (same board as step 2). Drill two holes on the bottom unfinished edge 2cm from the front and back.
4. On the Bottom vertical board (it is the shorter of the two you cut). Drill two holes on the top unfinished edge 4cm from the front and the back.
5. On the Bottom vertical board (same board as step 2). Drill two holes on the bottom unfinished edge 4cm from the front and back.
Now we are going to attach our vertical boards to the top, middle and bottom boards. Remember to only drill to the depth of half the dowel.
1. There will be 3 boards in the first box that are about 63cm long. Mark the boards as Top, Middle, and Bottom.
2. Measure and mark the center of each board. You will need to measure the Middle board top and bottom.
3. On the Top board make sure the finished edge is away from you, and then drill two holes 2cm from the front and back.
4. On the Bottom board make sure the finished edge is toward you, and then drill two holes 4cm from the front and back.
5. On the Middle board, make sure the finished edge is toward you and then drill two holes on the top 2cm from the front and back. Turn the board over so that the finished edge is away from you and drill two holes 4cm from the front and back.
Put together the inner portions.
1. Put 2 dowels in the top board, and attach the top vertical board.
2. Put 4 dowels in the middle board and attach to the top vertical board.
3. Attach the bottom vertical board to the middle board.
4. Put 2 dowels in the bottom board and attach it to the bottom vertical board.
Put the bookcase together according to instructions, cut out some shelves and install. Note we had to put the bookcase in place. Position the hooks where we thought they should go and put a nail through the back board. Then remove the unit and put wallboard screw supports in so that winter coats did not pull them off the wall.
Hope this inspires someone!
~ Connie, Canada