Published on November 16th, 2010 | by Jules Yap


Ikea Avsikt now soft closes!

Materials: AVSIKT – BLUM hinges

Description: When I began updating my kitchen with IKEA cabinetry, I was disappointed to find that my cabinet door choice AVSIKT did not have the soft close feature that is ubiquitous to other IKEA cabinets and drawers. The problem was that the door was flush with the cabinet frame when closed and that the inset glass was recessed so that the the RATIONEL door damper that piggy-backed to the INTEGRAL door hinge did not make contact with door in order to soften the closing of it.

After much research, I discovered that the OEM for IKEA cabinet hinges was BLUM and that they did infact manufacture a hinge that fits aluminum framed glass cabinet doors: B073T550AB.

This particular hinge slides, snaps into and screws onto the hinge cutout on the door frame and provides a “foot” that protrudes in front of the glass (see photo) and provides that strike surface needed by the RATIONEL door damper in order to soften the close.

Finding this hinge online was elusive and it appears simply as: 73T550AB.

The “hack” is to simply replace the hinges with the above part and clip on the RATIONEL damper to the hinge and voila! the AVSIKT doors now close softly!

~ P J Pires, New Bedford, MA

More hacks on IKEAHackers.net

VIKA desk goes glam
Lack Torrone Table

The Author

Jules Yap

"I am Jules, the engine behind IKEAHackers and the one who keeps this site up and running. My mission is to capture all the wonderful, inspiring, clever hacks and ideas for our much loved IKEA items".

10 Responses to Ikea Avsikt now soft closes!

  1. Joe says:

    I have the aluminum frame door. It has the hinges attached. What I need is the other side of the hinge that goes on the cabinet itself…. Can anyone help me? Thanks :)

  2. Anonymous says:

    The Ahturf link …..

    Does the hinge replaces the IKEA Avsikt hinge and then use the soft-door dampener from IKEA to work without modifying the glass dors specifically? I do nt want to drill/cut/sand off anything!

  3. Anonymous says:

    I just bought them individually from this website for $2.70 each. I had all kinds of trouble with Ikea, the manufacturer, and some of the distributors who just wanted to sell 50 or 250 when I needed 12. This should do it, though. http://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=256_269_12974&product_id=37433

  4. Anonymous says:

    I ordered this piece off the Blum website, but the part number 73T550AB is for a 50 pack. The part # they have listed with the photo for a single hinge is B71T565, but when my order arrived it was not that part. An email to customer service revealed they have the part # wrong on their website. Good news is the assistant vice president of sales and marketing emailed me within the hour to get it sorted out, when this is done I’ll update.

  5. P J Pires says:

    The OEM for the drawer slides is also BLUM. If you look at the parts you’ll see the name. I guess BLUM can’t keep up with IKEA in changing the names on the hardware for them.

  6. Anonymous says:

    Hey guys, it’s called a PUSH LATCH.

    Hope this helps: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70134242

    It’s designed to be used with the Besta series but it should work with the kitchen cabinets

  7. jo says:


    ikea has them, in the forniture shown in shops, but i ignore if they sell them. moreover a friend of my partner is in this business and trade them, maybe even the salice one. i’m not able to open the italian site, so i can’t know the italian name, but in english they’re called simply push, or push sistem.
    thank you for your concern

  8. Anonymous says:


    I didn’t know that IKEA make/use the push-to-open type of closer, but they’re commonly used for loft (attic) doors.

    I once used them for a non-handled mirror-doored DIY wardrobe built over the stairs in a house I owned at the time, so you might find them by asking for loft hatch latches in your local DIY store.


  9. jo says:

    i’m planning a new ikea kitchen and i need these things whose name i don’t know neither in italian, my mother tongue :-( i need to open the doors without handles, just pushing them… what’s the name of this device? and where is it in the ikea catalogue? thanks :-)

  10. Anonymous says:

    How did you figure out who the OEM was? Any chance you know who the OEM of Ikea’s drawer glides is? I would like to replace the drawer glides in my kitchen cabinets with the same ones that Ikea uses.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Back to Top ↑