My sister and I found an easy way to make a dog raincoat from an IKEA shopping bag. It only takes around two hours of work and costs 4 Euro in total.
IKEA items used:
- KNALLA shopping bag
Other materials and tools:
Instructions for our DIY dog raincoat
1. Take the measurements of your dog (back length, neck & belly girth).
2. Cut the bag along the seams into two halves.
Related: See more IKEA hacks for dogs
3. Cut the handle of one bag and attach an elastic band with a length suited to the dog’s neck size.
4. From the second half cut out a rectangular piece as a closure around the belly.
5. Sew one of the small ends of this rectangular piece on one side of the bag.
6. Sew a Velcro strap on the other end of the rectangular piece.
7. Attach the reflective stripe to the outside of the bag wherever you want.
For the sewing jobs, you can either use a sewing machine or do it by hand.
How the dog raincoat looks at night
See our video on how we made our dog raincoat as well as our dog happily wearing it.
~ by Ilona and Ola
You may also like these IKEA raincoats
#1 Bag that dog
For larger dogs, the KNALLA shopping bag raincoat may not be big enough, unless you want to sew a few bags together. An easier way is to use the bigger IKEA shopping bag – FRAKTA, like how Francesca did. Just one IKEA FRAKTA Bag is roomy enough for her big dog raincoat. See more.
#2 IKEA kid’s raincoat
Sarina made this super cute IKEA FRAKTA raincoat for her kid. It’s lined so that it won’t be too cold under the rain. See the full tutorial.
#3 FRAKTA Raincoat
And here’s the grown-up version. You’ll need 4 FRAKTA bags for this kimono style raincoat.