IKEA items used:
– A red HELMER metal cabinet unit
– Black legs from a TROLLSTA side table
– Knobs from a HEMNES chest of drawers
– Knobs from the LINNARP display cabinet
1. I stripped the drawer unit out of its handles and the small caster wheels underneath.
2. Then I made some stencils out of paper to help with the intricate design.
4. Then I sawed a piece of pinewood plank to fit underneath the drawer, so that I have something to secure the legs on.
5. I screwed the plank to the metal cabinet through the existing holes at the base of the HELMER (but from the inside of the unit) and then I screwed the legs on top of the plank from the outside.
6. After that I painted that plank with the same white and gray design as I did on the top of the unit.
7. To make this a unique piece I wanted mismatched knobs and handles, so I took what I had in my drawers.
Now Helmer is ready to join the circus!
~ Maria Thöyrä, Gothenburg, Sweden
You may also like these other designs on the HELMER metal cabinet
Stunning chinoiserie motif on the HELMER. See how it’s done here.
Warm up the metal with leather. See the upgrade here.