This project was mainly made out of second hand IKEA products and other second hand materials. It was designed to fit on an EXPEDIT (1X5) which is being used as a toys and kid books’ storage and playing surface. I wanted the toy kitchen to be embeddable on the EXPEDIT in order to occupy less space in our house and be easily removable when more playing space is needed.
- LACK Table
- EKBY VALTER (could be used with EKBY LAIVA)
- RIGEL hook
- EXPEDIT (could be KALLAX) 1 X 5 cases
- Hard Board (back splash)
- Sticker tiles (back splash)
- Metal rod and fixture (hanger)
- S hooks (hanger)
- Metal mould (sink)
- Wooden board (shelf)
- Protective pads
- Two LED lights
- Paint (silver, black, red and blue) and varnish
- Two wooden nobs
- Silicon sealing
- Finish nails
- Carpenter glue
- Saw 5 cm from table top (keep the wooden part)
- Choose the sink placement. Draw sink contour. Draw a line one cm inside this contour. Use a drill and a jig-saw to cut the table top where the sink will be placed.
- Fix two of the four table legs on the table top using screws to create a support for the back splash and the shelf.
- Fix the two remaining table legs under the table top. The space between the two legs should be one cm wider than the EXPEDIT width (this will allow space for adding the protective pads in order to embed the kitchen on the EXPEDIT)
- Fix the sawn wooden part from the table top on the top of the table legs intended for the shelf support. You now have a frame to support the back splash and the shelf.
- Fix the EKBY VALTER supports on the frame and fix the wooden board (or EKBY LAIVA if you have one). Fix the metal rod to create a hanger.
- Fix a piece of hard board to create the back splash. Fix the sticker tiles on it.
- Fix a piece of hard board behind the frame to partly (or fully) close the frame.
- Paint and varnish a piece of hard board to create the cooking surface and fix it using finish nails and carpenter glue.
- Paint and varnish the wooden nobs and a piece of wood using silver paint. Use red and blue colors to identify hot and cold nobs. Fix the nobs on the wood plate using screws. Fix the tap base using a screw and carpenter glue.
- Fix the RIGEL hook on the back splash to create the tap
- Fix the sink using silicon sealing.
- Fix the protective pads and LED lights. Install S hooks.
- Show your kids and enjoy cooking with them!
~ Maxime Rivet