I work from home which gave me a strong motivation to have an office that is a comfortable spot to sit and focus. My office and desk lacked storage space, organization, table top work space, and everything else you want in an office. This was a weekend project that cost under $1,000 total. The job could be done for less, if you have some of the materials or go cheaper on the countertop and monitors.
1. Purchase the following.
Ikea items used:
- Two- Alex drawer unit with 9 drawers, white(14 1/8 X 45 1/4) $129 per
- One- Alex drawer unit with 5 drawers, white(14 1/8 X 27 1/2) $79
- One- Alex Storage unit, white (14 1/8 X 27 1/2) $49
Menards items used
- butcher block top- (25” wide X 96” long x 1.5” thick)countertop- $159
- Minwax woodfinish $5
- Bathroom/kitchen caulk- clear — $6
- Liquid nails- $5
Best Buy items used:
- Dell monitor 26”- $129 per
Total cost $819
2. Assemble the drawer and storage units. These are necessary for the next step in order to make sure measurements are correct with countertop.
3. Cut butcher block. Mine was cut at 84” long. I also drilled two 2.5 inch holes on backside for hiding of cords.
4. Apply wood finish/oil
5. Apply polyurethane
6. Place drawer & storage units
7. Apply Liquid Nails to top of 27” drawer & storage unit
8. Lay countertop on top of drawer & storage unit
9. Apply clear caulking around all spacing- drawer/ storage units, countertops, etc,
10. Decorate and enjoy!
~ Bret Ballentine