Wooden crates were sold out at my local IKEA, so I decided to buy the ALBERT shelving unit and “compress” it into a crate.
IKEA item used: Albert
Additional items used: 16 1-inch screws
- Shorten the long corner planks to 4 times the width of a shelving plank.
- Drill extra holes in the shortened corner planks to prevent them from splitting
- Assemble left and right side as in the guide
- Shorten 3 shelf planks to desired width of crate (I used 40 cm, which results in a “golden ratio” for the crate)
- Assemble bottom shelf as in the guide
- Shorten 8 shelf planks to desired width of crate. WARNING : they should be 6 mm (1/4 in.) shorter than bottom shelf planks
- Drill extra holes in the shortened corner for fitting the side planks (black screws in picture)
- Assemble side planks. WARNING use shorter screws, about 1 inch, the supplied ones will punch through the other side.
~ Jan Meeuwissen