I embedded clock to my Expedit shelf and it cost less than 20 €.
I got a small studio apartment and I use 5×5 Expedit shelf as a room divider. I wanted a clock to my wall but then I got idea to embed clock to the rear wall of the shelf.
- Printed clock-face template
- Black round stickers
- Masking tape
- Spike or knife
Simple clockworks are cheap and easy to find, but I wanted mine to be totally silent without ticking noise so I ordered it from specialized store.
I used Photoshop to draw template for the clock numbers and printed it, but those templates can be found fron internet.
Hardest part was to find black round stickers for clock numbers. I wanted it to be minimalistic and I did not want to use numbers. Finally I found right size round red stickers and I painted them plack.
- Measure and mark the center of the rear wall.
- Drill the hole for clockwork shaft.
- Attach the clock mechanism without the indicators.
- Use the printed clock-face template to mark places for clock numbers.
- Attach the clock numbers, I used small round stickers.
- Attach the hands of the clock.
Photo: Clockwork and printed clock-face template
Photo: Drilled hole in the center of the rear wall
Photo: Clockwork mechanism inside the shelf
Photo: Clockwork shaft
Photo: Use spike (or knife) to mark places for clock numbers
Photo: 2 of 12 clock numbers still missing
Photo: Expedit embedded clock