Materials: IKEA Lack
Description: Well, my hack was inspired by this site, I just wanted to share the result, as it is my first project 🙂
Used an IKEA Lack bookcase 1×4 bought from a used furniture local website.
As the shelf was pretty scratched and dark brown, which didn’t match anything in my apartment, it needed repainting.
What I did:
– sanded it pretty well
– gave it 2 coats of white primer
– gave it 2 coats of white glossy paint
– bought foam, fabric for the cushion cover, cardboard and colored paper for the back
– to make the cushion I just first used an old bed sheet I had to make an inside cover, superficially sown by hand
– sown by hand the cover as well, it was easier than I thought and the result was better than what I expected 🙂
then slid the cushion in and tucked the sides inside
– for the back of the bookcase I cut the cardboard to cover the openings, decided on a chevron pattern so I printed one online, drew it on my colored paper, cut it with an Exacto knife and glued it on the white cardboard.
See more photos of the Lack bench.
~ Julia, Montreal