Materials: Prant Box, Borris rug (x2), Ekby Tryggve shelf (x2), hook and loop tape, hinges from hardware store, Goop glue, Heavy-duty scissors
Description: Ever since we bought our new king size Ikea bed, our little Dachshund has been unable to get up onto the bed by himself. I made a ramp from which he can jump to a small bench that we have next to our bed and then onto the bed itself. This is only for small dogs, because the box, while sturdy, just isn’t meant to hold any substantial amount of weight. Otto thinks he’s a Doberman and the 1″ legs he has, were merely a mistake!
1. Assemble the Prant 13X13X15 box with lid according to the instructions.
2. Cut one of the Tryggve shelves to the same height as the box so it is flush with the top when you stand it along side of the box.
3. Use two smallish hinges from the hardware store and hinge together the shelf piece that you cut to the intact shelf.
4. Use self-adhesive hook and loop tape and fasten it so that the small piece of shelving will adhere to the box. The hinge should be at the top
and the long piece of shelving should extend at about a 45 degree angle from the box.
5. Cut up the two pieces of Borris carpet so that it fits the length of the ramp as well as the top of the box. I left some overlap at the bottom to
extend on to the floor as well as at the top so that it can cover the hinge. You will need a heavy duty scissors to be able to cut through the carpet
or a heavy duty rotary cutter. I made do with my light weight rotary cutter, but it wasn’t easy and the edges didn’t come out as nicely as I would have
6. Use the household goop to glue the carpet to the ramp and to the top of the box.
7. The glue and the carpet stinks until everything is dry, so don’t try to get your doggie to learn to use the ramp until the smell goes away.
~ Laurie, Minnesota