Materials: 3 Pax Wardrobes and Birkeland Doors
Description: Thanks to all previous hackers for their advice and pictures. It inspired us to save $7K on ‘custom’ closets and give it a go with PAX. Worked out great…for $1K.
1) Build the base. This is primarily to get the closet level – but also useful if you have baseboard trim to match.
2) Build and install boxes one by one. 2 people required.
3) Finish sides and ceiling with 2×2′ attached to the studs/joists, drywall, and plaster.
4) Finish base trim in front of platform you built (6″). We added a base cap to this to ‘hide’ some of the Pax box look.
5) Lastly, paint and add some meaty door hardware for these sizes of doors (93″ high).
The middle box in this pictures includes two drawer units inside – and elec/cable/cat5 in top section for eventual TV.
~ Drew, Boston