Wendy’s Ikea kite
What you’ll need:
- 1 sheets of colored 8 1/2″ x 11″ construction paper
- 1 8″ bamboo skewer
- 1 Ikea bag cut in a 1″ wide spiral all around for the tail
- 1/2″wide masking tape or scotch tape
- 1 bit of baker’s twine – 6 to 10 feet for a child or a roll of kite string for an adult
- a twig to wind the string upon
- Hole punch
- Fold a sheet of 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper in half to make a 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ rectangle.
- Fold again in a diagonal 1/2″ from the top folded edge, and 3″ from the bottom folded edge.
- Fold back one side forming the kite shape. You won’t need a stick here because the folded paper acts as a spine.
- Place skewer from point to point horizontally at the top of the kite and tape down securely.
- Cut the Ikea bag into a long spiral and tape to the base of the kite.
- Flip kite over onto its back and fold the front flap back and forth until it stands straight up.
- Punch a hole in the folded area approx. 1/3 down from the top point.
- Tie one end of the string to the hole and wind the other end around the twig.
- Let it soar!
See more of Wendy’s Ikea kite on her blog.