joan sends in her version of a large capacity laundry hamper, made from a ramberg chest.
she writes, “i started with a ramberg chest with 3 drawers. picture 1 is the final result, picture 2 is opened hamper.
the idea was to gut the interior to make a presentable, large hamper. (picture 3 is interior, picture 4 is the back support for the lid)
none of the interior drawer parts were used. the extra parts are:
- some 1″ by 1″ boards to support the front sides
- a 1″ by 2″ by 34″ board to support the hinge for the top
- a 1″ by 2″ by 34″ board to support the hinge for the bottom front
- a slab of masonite to fill the bottom (the drawer parts were too narrow)
- and of course a 30″ piano hinge
we still haven’t figured out how to readily open it: we currently squeeze our fingers below the top panel. we are thinking of screwing in a fake vase or an ash tray onto the lid as a handle.”