Well, this isn’t an IKEA hack but I was a tad hungry. So here you go — the recipe for IKEA meatballs with cream sauce.
How to make your own IKEA Meatballs:
- 250gm minced beef
- 250gm minced pork
- 1 egg
- 200-300ml cream and water (or milk and water)
- 2.5 tbsp. finely-chopped onion
- 50ml unsweetened rusk flour
- 2 cold boiled potatoes
- 4-5 tbsps butter, margarine or oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat the onion till golden in a couple of tablespoons of lightly browned butter.
- Mash the potatoes and moisten the rusk flour in a little water.
- Mix all the ingredients until there is consistency and flavour generously with salt, white pepper and (optional) a little finely crushed allspice.
- Use a pair of spoons to shape the mixture into relatively large, round balls and transfer to a floured chopping board.
- Fry them slowly in plenty of butter.
How to make the cream sauce:
- 100ml cream
- 200ml beef stock
- chinese soya sauce
- 1 tbsp white flour
- salt, white pepper
- Swirl the boiling water or beef stock in a pan.
- Add cream and thicken with white flour if preferred.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meatballs with the sauce, freshly boiled potatoes, uncooked lingonberry jam and salad.
IKEA Meatball recipe taken from IKEA Real Swedish Food Book.
IKEA Meatball platter (The lazy version)
If you rather not make the meatballs from scratch, here’s how to serve it with IKEA frozen meatballs and the food items available from the IKEA Swedish Food Market. This is the closest to eating it at the IKEA Restaurant.
This recipe serves 4.
- 32 meatballs (KÖTTBULLAR)
- 1/2 cucumber. approx. 125g.
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 100 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 ml salt
- 600 g mashed potatoes (eg. POTATIS-MOS)
- 400 ml cream sauce (eg. GRÄDDSÅS)
- 200 ml lingonberry jam (eg. SYLT LINGON)
Cook up an IKEA meatball platter
- Meatballs: Pre-heat the oven to 225° C. Place the frozen meatballs on a baking tray. Heat in the middle of the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Pickled cucumber: Slice the cucumber thinly. Mix the vinegar, water, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt dissolve. Add the cucumber. Leave to stand cool until time to serve. Garnish with a little parsley.
- Mashed potatoes: Prepare as per the instructions on the packet.
- Cream sauce: Prepare as per the instructions on the packet.
- Serve the meatballs with mashed potatoes, cream sauce, pickled cucumber and a spoonful of lingonberry jam.
Recipe taken from Food’s Ready by IKEA.
Post updated from the original published on Aug 9, 2006.