Published on August 11th, 2017 | by Contributor1
Pixel Art Retro Games Rug: A Hampen Hack
A pixel art retro gaming rug! This is a super simple IKEA hack that anyone with patience can do.
I went to IKEA to buy a rug and instead came home with some rug squares and an irresistible idea to add a bit of pixel art into my living room!
Step 1: Get Things and Plan Your Design
To do this project you will need…
• Hampen Rug squares – I chose these ones because they were “cut pile” which is nice and soft and shaggy
• String – I got through over 100m of this stuff….you’ve been warned!
• Needles – You only need one, but I lost a couple during the project so get a spare or two
• Stanley knife and a few sharp blades
• Nice big ruler the width of your rug squares
I made my design on Photoshop. I set up a canvas that was 19×12 pixels in size, and with the pen set as 1px simply clicked until I was happy. I went with the classic Space Invader with subtle Tetris shapes in the background and spots of green and pink to lighten it up.
Step 2: Cut Down the Rug Squares
I started by cutting the rug squares into 10cm wide strips.
Looking at the design I figured out where I could save myself some work by working in strips rather than individual squares (you may be able to see this as different shades in the pic).
Then it was just a case of cutting the long strips to the desired length.
Step 3: Stitch and Stitch and Stitch
Now for arduous task of stitching it together.
No big secret here… just hours and days and weeks of sitting on the floor stitching.
- Bend the needle so you don’t need to grip so hard.
- Sharpen the tip of the needle so it pushes through a bit easier.
- Take your time – it’s gonna take a while so don’t burn out trying to do too much at once.
And that’s it! Drop me a follow over on Instagram to see frequent updates on what I’m messing around with.
~ by Jonny
Other pixel art hacks you may like
Use the holes in the ALGOT shelves to create pixel art. See more here.