Published on June 30th, 2016 | by Jules Yap0
The BEKVÄM step stool gets pretty with washi tape
IKEA items used: BEKVÄM step stool
Other supplies needed:
- Journal or plastic protection (for paint spraying)
- White colour spray paint
- Washi tape (also called masking tape) – use any types and width you like and looks great together
- Mod podge or other decoupage medium
- Paint brush
- DIY steps
1. Clean your step stool. Remove dust to have a clean surface to apply the paint
2. Paint your step stool in white. Use the spray paint in two to three layers to paint the stool.
3. Apply the washi tape on the steps. Make sure you leave no gap between the strips and you apply firmly the strips on the top step. Cut the edges with care. Apply the same pattern on the bottom step.
4. Apply Mod Podge. This is to seal the washi tape and protect it from being damaged when using the step stool. I applied 3 coats using a paint brush to make sure it was really well sealed between all strips.
At the first coat you might see some bubbles on the washi tape. Just wait a few minutes until the Mod Podge dries and push the bubbles away with your fingers to re-apply the washi tape against the step, they should disappear.
Make sure you spread well the Mod Podge with the brush to make a thin film at each layer. Remember to apply it on all the edges too.
Let dry and you are done!
See the complete tutorial here.
~ Hacked by Petit Bout de Chou