Published on October 22nd, 2013 | by Christal1
The KEY to a dressed up Malm dresser
This is actually a Malm dresser I had hacked before with some Mod Podge and fabric. Unsatisfied with how it worked in my bedroom space, I tried to make it look a little more grown up, while keeping it a strong and unique feature piece. Here’s what I did:
1) To prep: Sanded down and primed the dresser and drawers.
2) To paint: Applied 3-4 coats of acrylic paint color “Harvest Pumpkin Orange.”
3) To decorate: Used 3M blue painter’s tape to create crisp border lines on the drawers’ faces. I used a thicker consistency acrylic paint called Liquitex BASICS in Black.
4) To seal: I used Mod Podge to seal the acrylic paints.
5) KEY feature: I found these great over sized keys from Michael’s that I wanted to buy, but didn’t know how to use them. Luckily, this project gave me a chance! I painted the keys black using the same paint I used on the drawers. I picked 3 different pairs of antiquated styles.
6) Final finish: I applied the keys where drawer handles would normally be using E600 glue.
Super happy with the final product! I think this is a great and simple way to showcase a collection of knick knacks or small items while dressing up your Malm dresser.
See more of the Malm dresser.