Wednesday, June 01, 2011
Hyllis Garage "Man Cave"
Materials: Hyllis Storage, Melamine Shelves, Screws
Description: I needed to convert an ugly mess in my garage into a "man cave" with a useable bench -- I was sick and tired of all the projects being conducted on my kitchen bench! And my budget is very small.
6 x Hyllis storage units from Ikea Homebush, NSW ($16.99 each) - which we cut down to 3 shelves
2 x Melamine shelves from Bunnings Hardware ($13.99 each)
16 x screws we already had
1. Build the six Hyllis units as per the instructions, but don't put on the 4th (top) shelf.
2. Cut off the left-over bracket between the 3rd shelf and what would have been the top shelf.
3. Place the unused 4th shelf on top of the bottom shelf for added stability. No drilling or screwing necessary,
4. Position the units 2 deep x 3 wide.
5. Drill pilot holes in each of the top shelves (we did 2 per shelf x 6 shelves).
6. Position melamine shelves on top on Hyllis units. leaving overhang on both sides (we used 120cm x 60xm shelves)
7. From underneath, drill 12mm screws into melamine shelves to fix into place.
The whole job took us about 2 hours and the end result is fantastic and economical.
~ Frances, Sydney, Australis