Published on May 26th, 2011 | by Jules IKEAHacker7
Safe Bekvam step stool for toddlers
Materials: Bekvam step stool. 1.25 inch wood. 6 screws.
2 small children need to reach fragile modern glass bowl sink without injuring sink or themselves.
- measure height of sink bowl.
- measure out the 1.25 inch left over wood into 3 pieces to arch over the sink to act as a handle for children perched on step stool.
- cut 2 vertical wood pieces and screw onto either side of step stool taking into account where the child will stand on stool. Mid way of top step should do it. Use 2 screws for each side and allow vertical wood pieces to touch floor to make it stable.
- cut last piece as top handle onto top of 2 vertical pieces and attach with 2 screws.
- sand off cut edges to round them.
- paint to suit.
This simple hack not only provides a safe solution for my kids but turns an inexpensive stool into a safer stool for adults that would cost way more for something comparative.
~ Peter Brunton, Orlando, Florida, USA