Published on May 18th, 2011 | by Jules Yap7
Materials: MYDAL bunk beds x2, saw, drill, a few extra screws.
Description: My son wanted bunk beds; I wanted to keep a double bed in his room so it can house guests from time to time. First thought of a Double/Single TROMSO, but it’s been out of stock for months and months. So I hacked a much more fun solution.
Two sets of IKEA MYDAL bunk beds assembled side by side as IKEA instructions except:
- Fit bed sides of upper bunks upside down (to make a flat platform)
- Only put guards up along the length of one set of bunks.
- Don’t fit ladders or short guards.
- Don’t complete the second lower bunk, leave out the outer long side and slats.
- Bolt the two sets together.
- Use the spare slats to fill in the gaps on one of the upper bunks (to make a solid bedside space)
- Build a wider and sturdier ladder out of all the unused parts.
- Cut down the short guards to accommodate the wider ladder and fit on the outer bunk.
It’s not a space saving solution – it’s vast, but my son loves it and so do I, both top and bottom are really special, cosy spaces.
~ Hannah Pepper, UK