Not very safe: this is a real fire hazard!
danger!!!! are you nutts!!!
In addition to being a fire hazard, it's also a really bad idea if you have cats.
I like this idea very much. Unfortunately the others might be right: seems dangerous! :/
this is extremely awesome, but i'm worried about frying my cat!
This is unbelievably awesome and I ALREADY HAVE THIS RAT! As long as the cords are in good shape and there are no electrical shorts in the appliances the odds of fire are about the same as the odds of that sortera bin of dry cat food I keep in the closet spontaneously combusting. It's not impossible. But it's not anything to lose sleep over. My cats will look at it and understand that it's not a real rat. Darwinism cuts both ways.
As already mentioned - you can get burned (down)...
Also, not kid safe.
why put a socket in a rag rat in the middle of the living room?
why do you* xD sorry
Simply fantastic in its simplicity... but.. the risk of fire is not just connected to sparkles or short circuits but also, as happened to me last week, due to an overload.. some cables for the extreme high current and for the Joule's effect they become hot and melt down... while the plastic is, the mouse is fire proof?
Anonymous: You have the exact same rat? No way! I always thought those are individual pieces!Also, I don't get your rationale when it comes to high voltage appliances. I've personally seen extension cords and cables melting down - without covers, and without overloading them. High voltage creates an surprising amount of heat in cables, people just don't realize it because they usually don't go around feeling their electrical cords. There is a very, very good reason why those are not sold wrapped in flammable stuff that keeps the heat inside.Also, in case something should happen, good luck trying to explain that charred rat cover around an high-voltage device to your insurance.
I am so making this. People need to lighten up.
no cats here - so I will try this creative hack.
I absolutely love this hack!!! :-) The way the rat ticks out from under the couch is hilarious!
In Sweden I've never heard about extension cords melting down. just felt on mine and my computer is on 24/7 and hooked up to that cord and it's not hot. Of course there is a risk but I don't think that people are that stupid so that they don't understand the risk. So just check it every day and unplug it before leaving home and before you go to sleep. then you can sleep well at nigth knowing that your house won't burn down.
Hi,just a head up to say that my rat is doing good since 2010.No overheating, no melting, no fires.And more importantly, no cat injured!Thank you for all the nice comments!
Everyone is free to comment but IKEAHackers.net reserves the right to remove comments that do not contribute constructively to the discussion, contain profanity, personal attacks or seek to promote a personal or unrelated business. SPAM will be deleted. If you have a Blogger profile, you can click on the SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL link that will show up below and receive all follow up comments on the hack via email.Don't have a Blogger profile? Create one for free here so you won't have to be be listed as "anonymous".
Insert Divide 2 for IKEA Expedit
Insert Divide 4 for IKEA Expedit
Furniture sticker for IKEA Expedit, Phineas and Ferb
Furniture stickers for IKEA Expedit 16, Minnie Mouse Face